The Society of Bookbinders’ Tutor Validation scheme
This is a scheme by which a tutor can become an accredited Society of Bookbinders Teacher and is only open to currently subscribed members of the Society of Bookbinders. It was set up to fill the gap which has arisen with the loss of most full-time teaching establishments to provide official certification. There is a need for validation of tutors and binderies, especially to fulfil the criteria necessary for foreign student funding.
In addition to the Application Form the applicant needs to provide supporting evidence to accompany their application (see list below). Where possible they need to be provided electronically on a CD or memory stick so that the work may be copied and kept on record. Any written documents e.g. CV, should be saved in PDF format and any photographs or images should be saved as JPEGs.
Inclusions can be sent as printed documents, but please do not send original photographs.
- An up to date CV; please ensure that this shows the applicant’s work and study record in reverse i.e. most recent listed first. (Please include contact information for tutors, companies, employers or institutions as we may wish to take references from them.)
- A sample lesson plan or course plan/outline.
- In addition to the applicant’s supporting material, where applicable, please include any online teaching activity or bookbinding blogs.
- Names and contact details of three referees; two from professional bookbinders and/or bookbinding tutors and one from someone you have taught.
- A small portfolio of the applicant’s students’ work while under their tutelage – this should include where possible, work in progress images, especially if the project is restoration/conservation related, as well as clear images of completed piece. Annotated details of the work, the student’s name, their contact details, a short history of the pupil’s bookbinding experience while under the applicant’s tutelage and the year of completion should also be provided.
- A cheque for £30.00 made payable to Society of Bookbinders Education and Training (this is to cover admin charges)
- The Validation Certificate is for a period of two years after which a renewal can be applied for. There will be a fee of £20.00 to cover admin charges.
The E&T assessors reserve the right to ask the applicant to provide further information/material at any time during the assessment. Feedback will be given if applicable.
All applications will be treated in full confidence.
What the applicant can expect from SoB, and be provided with. if the applicant is successful in their application to become a validated SoB teacher.
- An SoB Certificate signed by the President of SoB and the Chair of the Education & Training Committee (this certificate is valid for 2 years from the date of issue, after which time application for renewal is required).
- A validation logo which may be displayed and used in your teaching and advertising (this will be provided as both a hard copy and electronically).
- Inclusion in SoB listings and advertising to the society’s membership.
- Eligibility for discounts on SoB courses/workshops to advance your teaching skills.
- Eligibility for discount to attend the SoB Education & Training Seminar (held every 2 years)